Mercedes Benz Shuttle

6/29/2015 07:00:00 am

I have a new friend. Actually, she's an old one. Patricia is my high school classmate who has been working in Singapore for over a year. 

We were not close, in fact I don't think we ever hung out together outside of class, and I had not even seen her since we graduated from high school, but it's okay. At least I have one friend here. 

Beggars can't be choosers.

"Let's check out this cafe that I've heard so much about!" she said on whatsapp. 

"Cafe? I thought we were having dinner?" I asked in confusion. 

"Yes, Singapore is all about the cafe culture these days," she replied. "Hipster cafes are sprouting up by the dozens, and their food is really good and Instagrammable. Don't worry, they serve dinner there as well."

She rattled off the name and address. 

"Umm... where is the nearest MRT?" I asked. 

"I don't think it's near an MRT, but maybe you can take a bus," she replied. "Why don't you use gothere.sg to find out how to go there?"

And you know what, guys, that website is amazing. You just plot your "from" and "to" and it tells you how to go there via bus or MRT or cab or car and even tells you the estimated time it will take and the amount you'll pay for each option! #firstworldftw

So first, I took the MRT. Their MRT here is so organised and clean and nothing at all like the one we have in the Philippines!


Then I got off and took a bus. Their buses are also nothing like our buses in the Philippines. They also have no traffic, which is the best thing EVER!


Best of all, you can use the same ezlink card to pay for your rides on both MRT and bus! So convenient!

When I got to the cafe, Patricia was already there, which was surprising because I had left first. Turns out she had taken a cab.

As we pored over the menu, I thought I would get a heart attack. Everything was so expensive!

"I read that their duck confit is to die for! But the steak looks great, too!" Patricia exclaimed. "Have you ever had truffle fries? They're so good! Do you mind sharing a slice of their rainbow cake? It looks so pretty but I can't possibly finish one entire slice on my own! We should pair this with their famous cappuccino!"

A slice of cake costs $9?!? Yikes!

But I found myself nodding to all of her suggestions anyway, because I didn't want her to think I was some ignorant country mouse. In the end, we decided to order everything for sharing so we can try many of the famous dishes.

"So, about the flat you're looking for," Patricia said after the unfriendly waiter had scurried off with our orders. "You need to hire an agent to help you look for an HDB or condo."

"I'm sorry... HDB?" I queried.

"It stands for Housing Development Board," she replied. "That's what they call apartments. Those are cheaper. But condos have other facilities like a gym, pool, etc. So anyway, once you find an agent, tell him or her what your budget is, if you want an HDB or condo, how many bedrooms you want, and which area. He'll recommend a few and you'll go view them, and once you find one that you want, you have to pay for deposit and downpayment and then pay the agent fee."

"How much is the agent fee?"

"It depends on how long you'll get the contract for. If it's one year, then it's half the monthly rent of the unit, if 2 years, one month's rent. "

"What? That expensive?"

"You can also try looking for a place without an agent, but trust me, it's really difficult. I recommend just going for the one year contract because rent fees are falling."

"Oh okay. Thanks!" I almost said "noted with thanks." Thank goodness I stopped myself.

Just then, some of our orders arrived.

"Who will you be staying with?" she asked as she speared a piece of duck confit.

"Umm... nobody?" I replied.

"What? Do you know how expensive flats are here? HDB flats here are around $2000 and above for two bedrooms, depending on your location. It would be a waste of money to rent a flat by yourself. You know what, I have a friend who is looking to rent a room in a condo. Why don't I introduce you both and maybe you can rent one together?"

Live in a house with a stranger? No way. 

"I know you're probably hesitant because you don't know her and all, but this is how we do it here," she continued, as if reading my mind. "Most of my friends are housemates with people they just found on PinoySG, and that's worse than what I'm offering you. At least you know someone who knows who you will live with."

"Really, people do that? What's PinoySG?"

"It's a website for Pinoys in Singapore," she explained, dabbing her lips with a tissue. "There are these forums where people post ads or give advice about living here. You should check it out. It's very helpful."

By the time our check was served, she had messaged her friend about me, and she had invited me to a birthday party with their common friends, so the two of us could meet. I didn't want to go because I didn't want to gatecrash, but she said it was totally fine as it was a potluck party and I could just bring my own food so I wouldn't feel like I was imposing.

"Well, the price is not bad," she said. "Shall I just pay for this with nets* and you can just FT* to me?"

Not bad? This amount is an entire week's worth of lunches!

I have to admit, though, the food was really good. I couldn't get enough of the duck's flaky, crispy skin, and those amazing truffle fries have set a high bench mark for all fries.

I almost wanted to back out of the party next week. How much would my potluck cost? An arm and a a leg? But then I remembered something - I get my first salary tomorrow. I can handle this.

It was very late by the time we finished, so we couldn't catch the MRT anymore. The MRTs close at around 11pm around here.

"Let's just take a cab," Patricia suggested. I didn't exactly have a choice, did I? So we waited for one and it took forever for any to pass by, and just as she was about to call for one, what should arrive but a Mercedez Benz cab.

This picture is not the same cab we rode, but one I snapped the next day

I was awestruck.

"Is that a Mercedez Benz?" I asked.

"Yeah," she replied, unfazed. "It's a bit more expensive, but I guess booking a cab would amount to the same thing, anyway," she said, opening its door and clambering aboard.

"Two stops, Uncle," she instructed the driver, rattling off our addresses.

"It's good that we got in before midnight, because after 12, the fare is more expensive, like double or something," she told me. "It's like the drivers get night differential. But the great thing about cabs here is that the drivers are so honest. They will always give you your change down to the last cent."

I was amazed at how nice the interior smelled, and how there were magazines and an iPad to entertain the passengers. I wondered how much this would cost me. Oh well. At least I experienced it.

Patricia was dropped off first, and just before she got off, she said one last thing: "Oh and by the way, I just suddenly remembered, in the party next week, you might know someone else there. You know our batch mate Jason? He also works here. He'll be there. Ok bye, see you then!"

I was glad when the car door slammed and we pulled away, so Patricia couldn't see the expression on my face.

Patricia had moved away from our hometown to study in Manila, so she didn't know what happened to me in college.

What was that, you ask? Oh, nothing much. Just that Jason became my first boyfriend, and also the first guy to break my heart.

This should be interesting.



Theme song of this episode:

So I walked into a bus

I got on to a train
Keep calling a cab
Which is just not the same

I saw no traffic

Tapped my card, so insane
And it felt so good
I want to do it again


*Nets is when you pay with your ATM card and they swipe it and you have to punch in your PIN. You can use Nets to pay almost anything, even cabs. Also, all cabs give out receipts here.
*FT means Fund Transfer. It's very easy to register someone else's bank account in yours, you don't need to visit a bank or an ATM but just key in your one time pin. 


Noted with amazement,
Add me to stay updated!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi, you have reached Maria Bianca's website. I can't come to the blog right now, so please leave a message after the beep. BEEP!