My Bestfriend, Skype

7/27/2015 04:29:00 pm

There's a big difference between living with friends and living with a stranger.

When I worked in Manila, I shared a two-bedroom condo with 5 friends. I know, that seems quite a lot of people for one small condo, but we had no choice because we couldn't afford better.

And yet, the place wasn't crowded, because everyone was a friend. When someone was in the living room watching TV or cooking something in the kitchen, you would join them or talk to them and would not feel like they were invading our space.

That isn't the case when you're living with a stranger.

Michelle isn't too bad. She's okay, really, but we just don't jive like Patricia and her friends, you know? So I always feel awkward around her. We make small talk whenever we encounter each other in the common areas, and it always feel just that - small talk, and never transcends into... big talk? (Huh. What is the opposite of small talk anyway? And why do they call it that?)


For me, anyway. Maybe not for her. 

I don't want to make it seem like I'm full of myself or anything, but she seems a bit too overeager, even stalkerish, in the way she keeps asking me eleventeen billion questions about everything. 

What did you do today? What are you doing tomorrow? What are you buying? What are you watching? How much do you earn? When is Jason coming back here? 

It can't be a coincidence, but she seems to copy everything I do. When I mentioned that I liked watching a TV show, she suddenly started watching it, too. After I bought an iphone, she bought one too, and the same thing happened with the macbook. 

I know they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but there's just something about her that makes it not flattering, but creepy. 

Like at any moment she would kill me to take over my life, which sounds like a plot from a book that my cousin once told me about. 

So I find myself avoiding her and just staying in my bedroom whenever I can.

It's not so bad, coz I have my macbook to keep me company. One of my fave apps is Skype, which I use to talk to Sam.

Sometimes we watch movies together, play them at the same time and comment on what is happening on our screens. 

Sometimes I watch him sleep. (Now look who's the stalker.)

I miss my boyfriend so badly, I sleep in his jersey while cuddling the teddy bear he gave me.

I miss my boyfriend so badly, that was almost the title of this post. 


Skype helps, but it's not the same. They should create the ability to hold hands through Skype. Oh wait, this suddenly reminds me of that Big Bang Theory episode when Rajesh and Howard tested a gadget that allowed them to "kiss" virtually. Eww. Erase erase. 

But Skype helps, and I am grateful. I can't imagine going through LDR during le olden days when your only form of communication was by post. 

My dearest Samuel,

Today I rode to work in a carriage. After I computed the figures using my trusty abacus, I got on a horse and galloped to the nearest fishing village to sup on dried fish. 

I shall continue this on the morrow as darkness is falling and I have ran out of candles. 

Much love,
Maria Bianca

Thank goodness for technology. 

Thank goodness for Jetstar, too. They had a fare sale last week where you get your return flight for free. So Sam booked his ticket to come see me here in November! I know, it's so far away, but it was the earliest leaves he could get coz he has a new job and can't get leaves while he's still a probe. 

It's so far that I decided to book a weekend trip to see him in August, during the long weekend here! 

But he doesn't know. I want it to be a surprise. So shhh. 


Theme song of this episode: 

Nothing feels right when I'm not with you
Sick of this dress and these Charles & Keith
Taking them off coz I feel a fool
Trying to dress up when I'm missing you
Imma step out of this lingerie
Curl up in a ball in something blue
In bed I lay with nothing but your jersey on
With nothing but your jersey on


Noted with longing,
Add me to stay updated!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi, you have reached Maria Bianca's website. I can't come to the blog right now, so please leave a message after the beep. BEEP!